Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Meeting God on the Elevator

This was a rough work week for me. I got into a fight with a friend of mine who I also happen to work with. I was so upset by it that even though I love my job, and am firmly committed to it, I thought about the possibility of leaving it. Or at least asking to work from home. She had said many harsh and critical things to me – and perhaps some of them were true (she said that I am not awake in life and add nothing to conversations) – but coming from a friend, the comments hurt even more. It wasn’t so much what she said, even though the things she did say hurt, but how she told me. There was no sympathy or kindness in the delivery. But anyway, I went to leave the office to get some air, and on the way down on the elevator, an amazing thing happened. I met God. He didn’t appear in a flaming bush or in a glowing light – he appeared as a man I never saw in the building before. He got on at the floor right below me.
On the way down, he said, “Having a good day?”
“Yeah,” I replied, even though it wasn’t a good day at all.
“It’s nice to work here, isn’t it?” he asked.
I began to laugh, and said, “sure,” with just a hint of sarcasm.
But he continued. “It’s like working in the magic kingdom,” he said. And I knew he wasn’t joking. He really meant it.
I looked at him for a moment, and replied, “yes, I guess it is.”
“It really is a great place to work,” he said.
By then the ride down was over. He then let me out of the elevator first. We both walked outside. I watched him walk down the street, until he disappeared behind the building.
Maybe it was because of the papal visit, but God has been on my mind lately, and I have been more in tune with my prayers and the signs around me. But for whatever reason, I knew that this was no coincidence. I knew that God was speaking to me. He was telling me to stay at my job. He was telling me that everything was going to be okay.
So I went back upstairs, and, putting the fight behind me, went to the girl I was fighting with, and asked her if she wanted a cup of coffee.

No comments: